Have you noticed how many pink flamingos are cropping up on homewares and accessories? Those pretty, exotic looking birds with pink plumage and a funny way of standing, have danced their way into the hearts of many a pattern designer. Those spindly legs, arched necks, and big beaks just ache to be painted, drawn and sculpted it seems. Just one added to an interiors scheme seems to elevate it to something immediately cheery and tropical. A touch of decadence and Palm Springs. A word of caution however. Don’t overdue it. There’s lot’s of examples below and I’ve tried to keep to the right side of kitsch, but one or two at the very most is enough. You have been warned.
Believe it or not the above is from Primark and they have got it spot on. In fact the high street is often the best place to go for these ‘micro trends’ that rise up and disappear just as quickly; the homewares version of fast thowaway fashion. So what do I love about the above? They haven’t overdone the whole tropical theme. Well maybe the accessories on the pink pouf could do with a bit of weeding but on the whole, restraint has been exercised. And doesn’t that flamingo cushion look right at home on a rattan chair? It’s okay to add a pineapple, or cactus, or two (another two micro trends that hint at sunnier climes) and house plants reinforce the whole oasis-in-the-dessert look.
But Wait. There’s More
This post does contain some affiliate links. If you decide to buy anything featured you won’t pay any more, but Dear Designer’s will receive a small commission to help keep this blog up and running.
- Two Flamingos Fine Art Print, £25, Lola Design.
- Tropics Indoor/Outdoor Cushion, €90, Dash and Albert.
- White Ceramic Crackle Effect Flamingo, The Farthing.
- Notebook by Mother Of Pearl ‘Pink Flamingo’, £12.99, Papier.
- Flamingo Wall Chart Print, £38, Not Another Bill.
- Round Flamingo Cushion, £6, George Home.
- Antique Gold Flamingo Leg Table Lamp with Pink Shade, £115, Alexander and Pearl.
- Flamingos Clock, £30, Art Wow.
- Breaking Dawn In Pink Mural Wallpaper, £395, Anna Jacobs.