Nordic Mood is a new online homeware retailer founded by Emma and Vemund. It’s based in Emma’s hometown of Manchester (bet you didn’t expect that!) and offers a wide selection of Scandinavian style furniture and home accessories. Everything that captures the cosy contentment of Vemund’s traditional Norwegian childhood in Bergen. Their mission is to bring a touch of ‘Koselig’ lifestyle to the UK. Both ladies are passionate about design and quality, and both are inspired by their own family holidays in Sognefjord and the soft muted colour palettes of its natural surroundings. Together they have curated a collection of furniture, lighting and accessories that encapsulate the warm, congenial mood of a traditional Nordic homelife and that promote emotional wellbeing. Everything on the site places an emphasis on function and form, with strong organic shapes that are both ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing. Plus tactile natural materials that will add a comforting ‘Koselig’ to your own home.
Emma and Vemund Explain Scandinavian Design?
The Scandinavian countries of the North are well-known for their dense forests, mountains and cold, snow-covered landscapes for long months of the year. As such, Nordic interior design has been inspired by its surroundings of nature, featuring natural patterns, organic forms, and natural materials. The essence of a Scandinavian lifestyle stems from the resourcefulness of which Nordic communities learned to live, with a sense of practicality borne from limited resources.
It’s because of these long dark months that Scandinavian homes required the psychological warmth and domesticity which is now embedded in their design. Through organic form, textures and patterns, in objects such as beds, throws, and pillows, human qualities of warmth are present.
A lesser-known prevailing ethos of Scandinavian furniture is its role of social inclusivity and tolerance which permeates Scandinavian furniture design. This is a Nordic conviction that the quality of home living should be high for everyone, rather than just a privileged few. As a result, Scandinavian interior design and furniture developed a simple and understated approach to everyday household objects and furnishings, and was chosen over it’s more showy grandiose counterparts.
Emma and Vemund’s Tops Tips for Creating a Scandi Look
- Creating a modern Nordic home is easy to achieve with the right sofas and chairs, Nordic furniture, and some key Scandinavian home accessories.
- Chairs have become an iconic feature of Scandinavian furnishings. Inspired by Hans Wegner and Arne Jacobson, to highly influential designers and architects of mid-20th century Nordic design, the chair captures the essence of modern Scandinavian style.
- Keep furniture and soft furnishings light and neutral to create a calming soft interior. Cool whites, warm whites, and neutral greys achieve a light and airy feel for the summer, and warm up the cool light of winter, keeping your interior homely throughout the year.
- Colourful or patterned soft furnishings can introduce an accent of colour. A Scandinavian home, even with its cool calm and neutral colours, never looks sparse. Soft furnishings and accessories bring texture and warmth to your home, as well as adding a splash of colour and creativity where needed. This can anything from an accent chair, a patterned Nordic throw, or an intricate lampshade.
- The essence of nature resounds through the interior design, reflecting the nature of the landscape. Wooden furnishings and accessories are key to this design, stemming from a culture abundant in timber and forested areas. Combining wooden furnishings with soft textured and natural furnishings helps to create a modern rustic appearance. Wooden tables and accessories combined with woven boxes and chairs reflect the practicality of Nordic inspired minimalism.
- The essence of Scandinavian living doesn’t have to end with your interiors. Enjoy the benefits of connecting with nature by creating relaxing spaces for you and your family outdoors. Use textiles and soft furnishings to make your outside spaces as comfortable and as inviting as your interior, so that you can enjoy the benefits of alfresco living and nature’s calming fresh air. Neutral tones paired with contemporary designs in soft woven materials create environmentally friendly furnishings to help you unlock the beauty of your surroundings.