Many new-build apartments these days have the kitchen as part of the open-plan living space. It makes for a sociable room undoubtedly. The cook is not tucked away from family and friends, and for those living alone it makes perfect sense to cook, dine and live in one compact arrangement. But it does throw up some design challenges if you don’t necessarily want to live in your kitchen. And you don’t want your kitchen to look like a kitchen. The perfect solution is to glam it up.
This post does contain affiliate links. If you decide to buy anything featured you won’t pay any more, but Dear Designer’s will receive a small commission to help keep this blog up and running.
Take a Look
Copper Leaf Decorative Tiles from Original Style
Here is a perfect example of how to ‘glam up’ a perfectly servicable grey kitchen. Add metallics! And yes you can mix metals. By adding gold or copper door handles and a stunning gold splashback you have immediately turned your kitchen into an uber sophisticated space that would rival any cocktail bar. A single shelf instead of wall cabinets also minimises the ‘kitchen effect’ and is a great place to add even more style and personality. To up the anti even more add leather, chrome and a shiny floor. You could even add velvet and yet more gold, but apart from walls, don’t even think about adding clinical looking white.
Get The Look
- GoodHome Delaware Paint, B&Q.
- Polar Bear Selfie Emulsion, Dowsing and Reynolds.
- Bow Pendant Lamp, Made.com.
- Wide Metro Design Cabinet Pull Handle, Simply Door Handles.
- Smooth Metallic Metro Tiles, Walls and Floors.
- Bold Monkey Hypnotising Round Coffee Table In Gold, Cuckooland.
- Heather Dining Chair, Cult Furniture.
- Shapes Stoneware Dinner Plate, Rose and Grey.
- Twist Off Road Tiles, Original Style.