When the current owners first saw this detached Victorian house, it was on their dream street, but it needed completely remodelling. Built in around 1860, it had not been touched for over 40 years, but it was on a leafy side street in Hampstead and that clinched the deal. They then asked Callender Howorth to oversee the restoration of this period home into the open, light, classic/contemporary home it now is.
Take a Look
The house is large. It has six bedrooms. And the designers took the entire building back to brick and reconfigured all of the floors. They also dug into the basement to create a gallery space, and this is now where the wife exhibits art. The basement (not shown) is sparse and contemporary as you would expect and in complete contrast to the rest of the house, which still contains lots of period detailing.
Callender Howarth not only opened up all of the small Victorian spaces to make the interior work for modern life. They made the house more lateral so that it flows better. And as it that wasn’t enough they undertook not only the planning, design, and build, but also the sourcing of all the new furniture. Everything from the stained-glass window by the stair-case to the fittings such as the twig-style-lights set inside the minimalist marble kitchen.
The owners were thrilled with the new look and moved in just before the first lockdown so were able to enjoy their new home fully.
Other projects completed by Callender Howorth include a Swiss Chalet designed by Sir Norman Foster and an apartment with a swimming pool that can be jumped into from the owner’s bedroom.
If you liked the lighting in this lovely home, you might like these.
This post does contain affiliate links. If you decide to buy anything featured you won’t pay any more, but Dear Designer’s will receive a small commission to help keep this blog up and running.
- White Glass Ball Table Lamp, £95, Rose and Grey.
- Black Maria S.C.Test Tube Chandelier, £247, Lime Lace.
- Leonardo Chandelier, £740, Pooky.
- Cohen 7 Light Semi Flush Matt Black Smoked Glass, £119.40, Dar Lighting Group.
- Masako LED Chandelier Pendant Light, Champagne & Opal Glass, £149, Made.com.
- Patrice 1 Light Pendant Silver Glass, £70.80, Dar Lighting Group.
- Esarosa Table Lamp Smoked Glass With Shade, £118.80, Dar Lighting Group.
- Collet Table Lamp, Black & Brass, £59, Made.com.
- Mugler Chandelier, £5664, Arteriors. OUCH!