This is the beautiful home of Sandra, owner and creator of Finntage blog and Instagram account. I’ve been an admirer of her style for some time and was delighted when she agree to be featured here. I particularly love her bold colour choices (hello, gorgeous greens), her collection of impossibly healthy looking plants, and her stunning, oversized pieces of art. But it’s the way she puts them all together that is so captivating. Each room is like a living, breathing, 3-D work of art and she’s the master. Well, she is Dutch after all.
In Words and Pictures
1. Your home is beautiful. Tell us a bit about the four walls. What kind of house/apartment is it? What made you fall in love with it?
We’ve lived in the house for 18 years and still love it. It’s unconventional, in that it’s split level. This means that all of the floors are connected by stairs and each floor is open-plan. We love it’s playfulness and have had a lot of fun here.
2. What work have you done to the place to make it your own? Are you a serial decorator or have you finished?
4 years ago we completely renovated the house to our liking, so I could start all over again with a blank canvas.
3. How would you describe your own interior design aesthetic and where do you find the inspiration for the things you decide to do?
My interior style can best be described as tough, vintage, colorful, industrial, urban and green! With plants … many plants! I like a colorful mix of old and new with many distinct elements, colors and patterns in the house.
4. What tips do you have for anyone starting from scratch? How do they create a home that is uniquely their own.
I always say stay close to yourself, your own style of living is what is important! Trends tend to disappear. So, do not be tempted by the trends but stay with your own taste and make thoughtful choices! Don’t be impulsive.
5. I know how long it takes to collect all the layers that go towards making a house a home. Where do you find all of your lovely things? Are there any go-to sources/shops that you can share?
I have a number of family heirlooms in the house, these are unique and therefore extra special. Always keep an eye on thrift stores for special items and mix them with modern items. I think that mix is important because it is so personal!
6. Can you tell us a bit about your day job and how it influences your design decisions?
At the moment I have no work, but I hope to do something related to interiors. Of course running my blog and account Finntage on Instagram is also an out-of-hand hobby that takes a lot of time. And I’m spending time tackling the outstanding jobs on the house.
7. If you had a day at home with no work to do, and no social media to catch up on, how would you spend it?
I would settle on the couch with a stack of magazines! Which I love. I still have stacks of magazines in the packaging … I just do not get time to read them. It’s my guilty pleasure.
8. What’s next? Do you have any decorating projects brewing?
My greatest wish is for an urban jungle garden room, or a nice big gas fireplace in the living room. One of these wishes is going to come to fruition this year!