I’m not sure if I’ve told you how pleased I am that I chose plantation shutters for the new house? They have surpassed all expectations really, look fabulous, and elicit comments from everyone who sees them. So, just in case you are considering taking the plunge (there is a huge range to choose from at S:CRAFT), let me tell you why I think they are so great.
- They are custom made. So they sit inside the recess (although you can have them outside if that suits the window better) and they look like part of the room instead of something that was added later.
American style shutters tuck neatly into the window recesses and can be combined with curtains
- They are very effective at controlling the light. This is especially true in the office where sunlight is sometimes an issue, but all I have to do is alter the slant of the shutters slightly and the problem is solved. The same problem exists in the bedroom too. I don’t particularly like a dark room but you don’t always want to wake up with the sun, so we do close the shutters in the summer.
The perfect choice for an office where light control is crucial
- They are unfussy. I didn’t want to especially make a feature of the windows with curtains or blinds as my windows are kind of on the small side, but I did need to consider privacy and dress them in some way. By the same token, if you have a huge bay window, shutters can look neat and tidy. Much more so than acres of fabric curtains or uneven blinds.
- Privacy is no longer an issue. Our living room looks out on to the street so we quite often close the bottom half to stop everyone looking in, but keep the top open to allow some light through.
Shutters are perfect for providing the right level of privacy
- They couldn’t be easier to clean. Just a quick flick with the duster once a week and an occasional wash with a soapy cloth.
- They suit all kinds of windows. Not just my small square, unremarkable ones. You can have them custom fitted to french windows, bay windows, picture windows, skylights, conservatory roofs and doors. In fact there isn’t a window they won’t enhance.
Bathroom window treatments can be quite tricky with the high levels of moisture present but shutters are the perfect solution
- They come in a variety of materials, styles and colours. My personal preference is for white, but I must admit in the right location, natural wood can look sensational.
- They suit all styles of homes. Whether they are traditional or contemporary. From Victorian villas to modern, steamlined apartments.
Wooden shutters can look sensational in the right setting
- They can be combined with curtains. This is especially effective on larger windows where expensive fabric can be used as dress curtains only. The shutters provide all the light control and privacy needed but maybe you want to use some fabric dressing to inject some colour and pattern?
- They have even more uses than I’ve listed here. For example as room dividers or wardrobe doors.
- They look utterly charming when the sun streams in.
Would I choose plantation shutters again? Absolutely.
This post has been written in partnership with S-Craft who have been retailing the highest quality plantation shutters for over 10 years. Their shutters are manufactured by the world’s largest shutter manufacturing facility and are guaranteed for 3 Years.