One of these days I am going to have a little house in the country.
Nothing fancy pants, just a modest cottage nestling in a valley with a stream trickling by. The rooms will be square and perfectly formed. A fireplace in every room, windows unadorned by curtains, floorboards waxed and swept. There will be no superfluous decorations, just the things that make day-to-day living pleasant and comfortable…
And the bedrooms will be the simplest but most comfortable rooms of all.
Here’s my wishlist for the perfect country bedroom.
- Iron bedsteads. Timeless and sturdy and perfectly suited to life in the country.
- Comfortable bedding. Plump duck down duvets and eider-downs to snuggle under in the winter and to air out of the windows in spring.
Simple furniture. Chunky wood or pieces rescued from a previous life. Suitcases and stools make perfect bedside tables.
- A rug to ease the transition from bed to bathroom.
- A few essentials by the side of the bed. A lamp, a book, a water carafe.
- Flowers of course. Best when picked staight from the garden and displayed in simple jug.
- Simple decorations. Flower pictures, a cushion on a wooden chair, a few family mementos, a touch of lace…
Do we all have these fantasies? Or is it just me?